Research Proposal

Abstract: In this paper I will examine the economic factors influencing gender in Latin America. I will examine using various journals.
Introduction: The policies of countries can affect the role of gender in the workforce, as there exists constructs of identity depending on what is deemed appropriate by employers. There have been global trends of what an ideal worker should look like. This topic is important because it can answer questions like is there a significant impact of the perception of gender due to economics and is it concern for problems like worker strikes.
Research Question: How are gender and economics related? How do they influence each other? How to appropriately describe the relationship between them? More importantly, is it significant concern for problems like worker strikes?
Thesis: An argument is that gender conflicts does not play a significant role in economics, I argue that it does contribute to discontent and can lead to protests in that ideas on gender can influence employment as well as management.
Methodology. I will examine books and articles to gather evidence and make judgements for my argument.

Works Cited
Salzinger, Leslie. “Making Fantasies Real: Producing Women and Men on the Maquila Shop Floor.” NACLA, 2007, nacla.org/article/making-fantasies-real-producing-women-and-men-maquila-shop-floor.
Salzinger reports her studies on gender and economics. I will be using some examples on how gender has affected an economy.
Eswaran, Mukesh. Why Gender Matters in Economics. 2014. Print.
Directly concerns the topic at hand.
Fernández-Kelly, María Patricia. For We Are Sold, I and My People : Women and Industry in Mexico’s Frontier. Albany: State U of New York, 1983. Print. SUNY Ser. in the Anthropology of Work.
Supplementary material for further discussion on Making Fantasies Real.
“Race and Gender in Economics 101.” The American Economic Review 85.2 (1995): 352. Web.
Supplementary material for understanding gender in economics.
Huesca, Robert. “”They Are the Experts:” a Workers’ Agenda for Social Change in Mexico’s Maquiladoras.” Canadian Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Studies 31.62 (2006): 131-165. Web.
I will be using this study to examine social needs of workers.